Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hail surprise

I woke up this morning to two great surprises. The first was a hail storm. Here's a picture of some tiles with the hail outside of my trailer. The tiles were a gift from my now deceased shamanism teacher. Maybe the hail too.


The second surprise was when I saw that Margrit Coates has added her comment to the Great Debate post. She has been on my mind recently. For those of you who don't already know her, she is a well respected animal communicator and healer and author of such books as, Healing for Horses, Horses Talking, Animal Healing, and Hands-On Healing for Pets. I listened to a Horse Conscious interview that she did on March 21st. I'll transcribe a little of it here, to whet your interest. If you would like to hear the whole interview you can become a member of Horse Conscious and download it. Note: This is slightly edited from the spoken version for better clarity.

Mark Mottershead, speaking about the shift in ways of being with horses:
How do we change that, do we take an active part or do we just wait for the greater consciousness to...you know...?

Margrit Coates: I think that people have to come to the realization themselves. I don't ride anymore because I had the great revelation one day where I thought, "You know, horses were never evolved to carry people on their backs."

Mark: Physically you mean?

Margrit: Biomechanically they're not evolved to do that. So I said, "Ok, I'm going to set you free, so you don't have to have me sitting on your backs ever again." The relationship I have with horses now is from the ground as an equal and you know, all of this "using" horses. I've bought a jumping horse, I've bought a racing horse, I've bought a dressage horse. It has to come from the people where they actually say, "I realize now this is a member of the horse nation, that these are equals, they're spiritual equals and actually we're doing something very very wrong by using them...and it's slavery."
She goes on to say that she does feel riding is ok in some circumstances but that she feels personally uncomfortable with it.
Margrit: It's humans realizing that they are still slave masters and what they're doing it with now is animals, with horses. That's the day that we all need to strive towards is saying, "Ok I'm setting you free to be a partner."
I think this is well said. Let me try to explain what this new way of being with horses is for me in words that I haven't used before. I am interested in developing a common language between my horses and myself. In the development of this language there is no time or place for me to assert physical control over the horse by any means, halters and small spaces included. Everything must be based on absolutely equal respect for each other. There are times when I will use a halter, for example if my horse needs to be led in a dangerous area, but I do not consider this part of building our relationship, it is simply what must be done in a moment.

I will add once again that the way I decided for myself that I would know if the horse was a willing participant in riding, was that the horse had to come over to where I was standing or sitting (on a rock or fence) and position himself so I could get on. This took over two years to get to this place with one horse (Patrik) who had always been a very willing traditional riding partner. With Sundance, a horse who I had ridden for 11 years, she has only let me on her back once under these terms. As for Sofi, she still hasn't allowed me on, and perhaps never will.

Since this is my virtual pasture and if you readers were my guests here, I would start out by laying down the ground rules and telling you that until you develop your own relationships with the horses, I will not allow you to get on their backs. If you are able to slow down enough to connect with them in their space, they may allow you on.

If you wish to continue telling me how much your horse loves being ridden, please take off all the tack for at least a week, turn her out in a large space, and then get the horse to come over and ask you to get on her back and take you for a ride. The third time this happens, get somebody to video you and send it to me. I also have to add here that some horses have been trained to go bridleless but they were trained with a bridle and show obvious signs of robotic obedience such as this.

This is all fine if you want to have a relationship with your horse that will end up looking to untrained eyes like you have done something amazing. But the truth will be known between you and your horse and to those who have developed the heart to see. This type of training has nothing to do with developing a language and relationship based on equality and respect.

Since my back still won't allow me to walk more than 100 feet at a time, I spent the day without horses. Nature kept me plenty occupied though with some impressive hail storms and periods of sunshine.

Here's a beautiful lady in her spring gossamer dress, cloaked with sunshine.


Here are some clouds to help you slow down.



The acorns have been busily germinating for quite some time now but I realized I hadn't taken any pictures of them yet.

Here's the hail storm in full force. I hope it doesn't knock too many blossoms off the trees.



Teeny snowballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment